Joseph C. Davis – Civil Engineer
Joseph C. Davis, Ph.D., P.E.
Dr. Davis is Trident Engineering’s Director of Civil Engineering. He received his Bachelor of Science degree, Master of Science degree and Doctorate, all in Structural Engineering from Rutgers University. Dr. Davis is a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Maryland. During his time at Rutgers Dr. Davis participated in many national and international government funded projects relating to the design and performance of highway bridges and concrete materials. Dr. Davis also served as an instructor for various courses related to solid mechanics.
Prior to joining Trident as a full time employee, Joe consulted for Trident on concrete parking garage rehabilitation project. This project turned out to be an audition. When Dr. Vannoy became aware that Joe was graduating from Rutgers, he immediately offered him a position at Trident.
Since joining Trident, Joe has worked on many diverse Civil Engineering cases that include:
- Water intrusion in residential and commercial buildings
- Roofing failures in residential and commercial buildings
- Analysis of structural failures in residential and commercial buildings
- Highway bridge damage and cost effective repair analysis
- Computer model analysis of a complex warehouse rack system
- Construction monitoring for compliance with specifications and codes
Joe has also developed Trident’s protocol for the determination of storm surge vs. wind damage from hurricanes. This comprehensive analysis, based on ASCE 7-05 and FEMA-55, provides Trident’s clients with a scientific and quantitative basis for determining the cause of structural failure in hurricanes. In addition, he is an HAAG Certified Roof Inspector.
Areas of Practice:
- Structural and failure analyses
- Structural computer models
- Concrete, masonry, steel, and wood structures
- Building envelope
- Water intrusion
- Property condition assessments
- Hurricane load analysis
- Contract administration and construction monitoring
- Maryland Chapter Structural Engineering Institute, Secretary, 2008-Present
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- ASTM Committee E58 on Forensic Engineering
- Tau Beta Pi, Chi Epsilon and Sigma Xi Honor Societies
- 8th SIICUSP International Research Symposium, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- University Transportation Research Center Region II Student of the Year
- “Comparison of Laser Doppler Vibrometer with Contact Sensors for Monitoring Bridge Deflection and Vibration,” NDT&E International 2005