Donald W. Vannoy – Civil Engineer
Donald W. Vannoy, Ph.D., P.E.
Dr. Vannoy has been working for Trident Engineering since he was hired by Captain Robert Hunt over thirty years ago. Dr. Vannoy received his Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from the West Virginia Institute of Technology in 1970. His formal studies were completed with a Master of Science in 1971 and Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering in 1975 from the University of Virginia.
Dr. Vannoy is a nationally and internationally recognized authority in Civil Engineering with over 30 years of design experience. Dr. Vannoy is a Professor Emeritus of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the University of Maryland, having been a professor for thirty-three years. In 2002, he became the sole owner, President, CFO and CEO of Trident Engineering Associates, Inc. He is a Registered Professional Engineer in Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Louisiana and the District of Columbia.
Dr. Vannoy has served as the Chief Technical Advisor for the United Nations infrastructure upgrade programs in India, Malawi, Romania and the United Arab Emirates. Dr. Vannoy has conducted numerous property condition surveys and due diligence studies for governmental agencies, investment trusts and private companies. Governmental agencies have included HUD, Coast Guard, and the State Department. The HUD project included the survey of 266 Multifamily Housing Projects throughout the United States. The condition survey work for the Foreign Buildings Office of the State Department covered Embassies throughout the world. The property condition surveys and due diligence works have been for a variety of investment trusts and private companies for shopping centers, warehouses, office buildings and apartment buildings.
Dr. Vannoy has conducted over 2,500 forensic studies and failure analysis of projects throughout the country. The projects have included topics such as water intrusion, roofing, construction, structural evaluations, building envelope studies, foundation evaluations, and general civil engineering problems. The studies have included the evaluation and performance of materials including concrete, masonry, wood, steel, aluminum, glass, composites, roofing materials, waterproof coatings, sealers, and other civil engineering materials used in the built environment.
Areas of Practice:
- Structural Analysis
- Failure Analysis and Design
- Concrete Structures
- Masonry Structures
- Steel Structures
- Wood Structures
- Finite Element Analysis
- Patent Litigation
- Property Condition Assessments
- Water Intrusion
- American Concrete Institute
- American Society of Civil Engineers (President of Maryland Chapter, 1990)
- American Society of Testing and Materials
- Society for Experimental Stress Analysis
- Transportation Research Board
- ASCE committees on Steel Bridges, Concrete Bridges, Forensic Engineering, Tubular Structures and Fatigue and Fracture Reliability
- ACI Committees 349 and 215
- Transportation Research Board Committee A2604
- ASCE/ACE 530 Committee – Building Code Requirements for Masonry Structures.
- For exceptional achievement in teaching, Dr. Vannoy was presented the first UMD Outstanding Teacher Award for Civil Engineering in 1984. He received the award again in 1990 and 1996.
- He was recognized by the publisher and editors of Engineering News-Record in 1983 to have made his mark in Civil Engineering
- He was presented the State-of-the Art Civil Engineering Award by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- In 1991 and 2007, he was named Civil Engineer of the Year by the Maryland Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- Engineer of the Year by the Engineering Council of Maryland and the National Society of Professional Engineers.