Thomas W. Nodeen | Shipboard Aircraft Machinery, Mechanical Engineer
Thomas W. Nodeen
Shipboard Aircraft Machinery, Mechanical Engineer
Areas of Practice:
- Design, installation, and testing of US Navy shipboard deck machinery including aircraft elevators, weapons elevators, cranes, and shipboard aircraft launch, recovery, handling, and support systems
- Ship design, development, installation, and testing for new construction and overhaul
- Lifecycle fleet support, research and development, specification development, and budget planning and programming to support improvement program engineering design and installations.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Project Management
- Project Management Institute
- Secret Security Clearance
- Served as a technical advisor in the investigation of the USS Iowa No. 2 turret explosion.
- Established performance and safety standards, technical oversight of research and development efforts, developing systems manufacture and design specifications for aircraft launch and recovery shipboard interfaces and air-craft handling systems, including aircraft and weapons elevators on board large deck aviation ships, including CV/CVN, LHA, LHD, LPH.
- Lead the Crane and Elevator Branch at NAVSEA that was responsible for lifecycle management of all Navy shipboard cranes and elevators.
- Produced military specifications (MILSPECS) and Naval Ship Technical Manuals (NSTM) related to the systems.
- Performed engineering analysis, design, and testing of CVN 68 Class air-craft carrier deck machinery, including aircraft elevators, weapons elevators, steering gear, anchor windless, capstans, and cranes during new construction and overhaul.
- Provided oversight of installation personnel to verify systems were installed and operated correctly, and oversaw validation testing of shipboard systems.